Sierra Sands Unified School District was awarded two grants in December of 2012 by the Department of Defense (DOD) – Office of Economic Adjustment to modernize Burroughs High School (BHS) and to build a new Murray Middle School, adjacent to BHS. The program under which the grants were received was the result of brand new legislation generated by the fact that many of the school sites on military property were in dire need of repair and restoration.   One of the conditions of the grants is that the DOD will pay 80% of the project whereas the district is responsible for the other 20%.


Modernization of BHS involves complete renovation of the permanent instructional spaces throughout the campus along with the addition of a new Administration Building and a new Concessions facility adjacent to the existing stadium. Work will include replacement of all existing HVAC systems, site paving improvements, a new and enlarged student parking lot, and modern audio visual and technology infrastructure. For Murray school the new construction will be designed to house all Murray students and in addition to classrooms, the grounds will contain a Music and Art Building, a library, a gymnasium, Multi-Purpose Room and administration building along with playing fields and a central campus courtyard. The total project budget for BHS is $31,909,274 and for Murray $39,542,838.


At this juncture to be ready for construction the district has completed numerous preparations and processes, many due to the need for compliance with all California and Federal regulations. Because of the complexities of the two projects, in Oct. 2013 the district approved the engagement of a Project Management company - Maas Co. - to act as owner’s representative. Preparations and activities include among other things: environmental impact assessments, Murray site soil testing, investigating the requirements for blast force protection for the new Murray school, and increasing the size of the BHS student parking lot. The preparations leading up to the actual construction phase necessitate constant interaction with the Division of State Architect, the Office of Economic Adjustment, NAWS/NAVFAC, City officials, Kern County, CDE, etc.


Start of construction for both the Murray and BHS projects is targeted to be in the Fall of 2015 and project completion is anticipated by Fall of 2017.


Please choose from the categories to the left to find the most recent information related to construction projects throughout the district

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2019 West Corporation. All rights reserved.